Saturday 24 November 2007, 7 pm, St Peter’s Church, Winchcombe,Gloucestershire
Not everyone knows that Winchcombeshire was an entirely separate county from Gloucestershire for ten years. Following its distinguished history as capital of the Mercian Kingdom and then as a Saxon burgh, Winchcombe became capital of its own shire when it was created in the year AD 1007 by King Aethelred as part of the five shires of Oxfordshire, Warwickshire, Gloucestershire, Worcestershire and Winchcombeshire – all areas of similar size and wealth, easy for administration in those days when revenue went to the king. Winchcombeshire covered 139 parishes of which the boundaries were nearly the same then as those today. Chipping Campden parish, part of an historic Hundred was in Winchcombeshire. It was absorbed by Gloucestershire in 1017 when the new king, King Canute, who had become king after the 1016 Treaty of Deerhurst, was upset by the local ruler, Eadric Streona who was thought to be plotting against the new king.
On the basis ‘History Matters’, a small group of volunteers from Winchcombe has promoted a number of commemorative events.
DAVID BRIGGS (organ) Organist Emeritus to Gloucester Cathedral is now a well-known International Concert Organist and Composer. He lives in the USA but travels widely. He specialises in improvising on a given theme.
PETER MEDLAND (trumpet) has a love of jazz and blues as well as orchestral trumpet work.
The music played will largely be associated with the five shires, including Holst, Elgar, Brewer, Walton. David will improvise to a given theme. A view of the organ console will be projected. Not all seats will have a view of the screen.
Tickets and booking details:
Reserved £12 and £10, Unreserved £8 (Students in full time education £6, unreserved).
Available from: St Peter’s Centre, Gloucester Street, Winchcombe, GL54 5LU. Tel: 01242 602067. If posting, mark your envelope ‘Concert’, enclose a SAE and a cheque made payable to ‘The Friends of St Peter’s Church’.
Any profits will go towards the restoration of the Chime machine built in 1705 by Thos. Staite in St Peter’s Church, Winchcombe